Sunday, August 2, 2009

Who let all these fast people into the race?

cleve00Ran the Cleveland Triathlon This morning – it was drizzly and windy. This is the one big race I’ve run the past couple years.

Last year I came in fourth in my division – the Clydesdale division for men 200+ lbs. So, since I’ve been training pretty hard this year I thought I might have a shot at a podium position.

Well it turns out this year the race has been sanctioned by the USAT – the governing body of all things triathlon in the United States. An opportunity for folks to garner points enabling them to participate in other invitational races with the final goal being some sort of national title or something.

Needless to say this brought out a whole new level of competitors out. I came in 8th this year – but I improved my time by almost three minutes. A time good enough to have won the division last year - not so this year.

In a couple weeks I’ll be running one more race – one that I placed second in last year. I am hoping for some success – but I’m not making any bets.

update: Final standings are up and I actually came in 7th out of 28 competitors in my division - last year I came in 4th with a dozen participants so I think I made some forward progress - I do know my legs still hurt.

cleve02

cleve03

cleve05

cleve06

cleve07

pics by sara

No comments:


Labels